Saturday, September 6, 2008

Horsey Hide n' Seek

Dancer let herself be caught today! YAY!! Score one for Erica! I was in the pasture with Dancer's halter and I decided to go sit on a barrel. I had to think for a minute on how I was going to try to catch her today. And thanks to a sudden burst of intuition, I came up with the idea of playing hide and seek!! So, I got off the barrel and hid behind it. Then, I sprinted around to hide behind another barrel and the silo and a tree and another tree and . . .you get the idea.

So, Dancer picked her head up and looked at me two times total. But I couldn't get her curious enough to actually come see what I was doing. And eventually, I got tired of running and Dancer stopped caring about the wierd person running around the pasture. So, I changed my strategy a little bit. This time, I played a little catching game with her: I walked up to her and drove energy towards her HQ until she looked at me. Once she gave me two eyes I sprinted back to hide behind a barrel. Next time, instead of running back behind the barrel, I turned around and walked back. After that, I gave her a treat and then walked back. Next time, she let me walk all the way up to her to give her the treat. Since she was being really accepting, I tried putting the lead rope around her neck to see if she'd let me. She did, so I walked with her a little ways and then put the halter on!! I was so excited that she actually let me!!

Well, I can't say much else was exciting, because after I got the halter on, I just let her graze for an hour before the farrier showed up. But it was quite an accomplishment to have her want to be with me again!!

3 comments:

  1. Dancer sounds alot like my Belle :) Is she a horse, pony? just curious

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a horse, lol. I think she's about 14.2ish. And now that I think about it, Belle does sound a lot like Dancer. And, if you're going through anything similar to what I am (catching related), then I feel your pain!! The day I wrote this post was a good one and I thought that maybe we had finally hit a breakthrough, but I was wrong, lol. The next couple days, she'd been as uncatchable as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dancer's a horse, lol. She's about 14.2ish. And now that I think about it, Belle and Dancer sound a lot alike!! Well, if you're going through anything similar to what I am (catching related), then I feel your pain!! The day I wrote this, I thought we'd had a breakthrough. But I was wrong, the days following she was as uncatchable as ever. *sniff, sniff*

    ReplyDelete