Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Progression? I wish. . .

Well, the first 2 days I got Moose I was ecstatic! And boy, do I mean ecstatic!! Oh, man, you should've heard me talking, my mom listened to me blab for about 2 hours on Saturday just saying how brilliant he was and how excited I was to finally have him here. I mean, he followed me back to the stall (without any prompting) after I took his halter off: translation, HE LIKED ME!!!! Oh, I was psyched! After all, Dancer hates me. So, it's nice to feel loved, you know? *

Sunday wasn't as great. Nothing horrible happened or anything, it's just it didn't go as I wanted it to. I got really confused! I mean, I can't tell what his horsenality is and it's driving me nuts! He's a fast learner, smart, mildly mouthy, mildly friendly, and curious (when I saw him in Prairie Du Chien he was non-spooky, and confident, too): LBE traits. But he's also extremely quiet/obedient, a little hesitant, and a little distrustful: RBI traits! So, which one do I treat him as?!?!?! *exasperated sigh* Plus, I was always told that/saw that horses start testing their owners in new environments to see what their limits are. Is it okay if Moose isn't doing that? I know I might be rushing this one, but he seems kind of RBI and not at all dominant! So, that notion is getting me confused, too. But again, I can be patient here: it's only been 4 days, lol!

WELL. . . Monday. . . one word: ugh. Apart from having to go to school, I also managed to ignore my gut feeling. Again. This time it said Moose was unconfident. So, I followed that feeling for a little while and just brushed Moose. Though, that (in my eyes) didn't seem to get anything done. Afterwards, I decided to try some of the games. He won't let me do Friendly (tossing the rope over his back)!!! He was backing up and trying to walk away from me, with a couple of little rears thrown in for emphasis. Of course, as soon as he stopped I stopped. Later, I looked up rearing on the Parelli problems area, and it says horses rear because A) they're being held back or B) they feel trapped or cornered. So, I can conclude that Moose must have felt trapped, RBI, since I wasn't holding him back at all. But if I can't convince him I'm not a threat, then how can I possibly do the rest of the games? And I know his needs are safety, comfort, play, and food. Another little thing I've noticed: when I'm near him on line he won't eat. So does that mean that he's not comfortable, or he's not safe?

And the thing that really got me is that when we went outside later to put some Neosporin on a cut on his back foot, he wouldn't let me :( He started walking away from me!! And it was RB kind of walking away, not like LB dominance. So, "oh boy!"

* Furthermore, I guess I'm just frustrated/sad, because Moose actually liked me for 2 days, and I'm scared of him not liking me! I didn't even realize how much I missed being liked (by horses) until I got him! I mean, Dancer won't let me catch her, and while I won't give up on her it's still extremely disheartening! RBIs seek comfort, remember? So, sorry if I'm rambling. . . Just kind of upset with myself that I don't know how to get the horses to want to be with me. . .

4 comments:

  1. Erica, words of encoragement. You have done wonders with Dancer, and you are good at what you do. Different horse different situation. I have confidence in you that you will succeed with Moose and have your dream horse. He is the totoal opposite of Sassy from what you have wrote. You have lots of quivers to fall back on and I believe that you can and will succeed in your new journey. I know it discouraging and disappointing, but you have the strength to succeed in what you are trying to accomplish. Stick with it and time will give you what you are seeking. Good luck you can do it.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the encouragement, Lisa! Your kind words speak volumes . . . :) And sorry if I was a little harsh on Dancer: I know she doesn't hate me. It's just hard to be eternally stuck in a rut with her and still be optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, Please don't question yourself.. you are amazing! :) Moose may be feeling a little unconfident right now, this is a big transition in his life. I would give him some time to adjust to his new home and also to you. Remember, if he is a little RB, he needs to trust you. Give him plenty of reasons to trust you.. give him his safety and comfort. Spend A LOT of undemanding time with him.. brushing, sitting (read a book in the pasture with him), grazing (maybe show him some yummy spots in the yard), find his itchy spots. All these things are the friendly game.. once you've won his trust, the other games will fall into place. I know it's hard, BELIEVE me! But be patient with him and take the time it takes. You know what kind of horse is in there.. it just might take a bit for him to feel safe enough to come out. Don't get discouraged.. when I am feeling like you are, I have trained myself to think of these times as wonderful learning experiences.

    I would LOVE to meet him.. hopefully soon! I will email you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Heidi! And I'll certainly take your advice. Since my bad day (above) I've been really trying to spend undemanding time with Moose (and Dancer, too). And it made me realize yesterday that I'm acting like a predator! Every time I go out there to just say hi, it's SOOOO tempting to put that halter on him. So, I guess I know what I'm doing wrong!!

    And I think he's already settling in a little bit more. If I give him a treat (he likes them quite a bit, lol) then he'll follow me around the pasture at liberty easier than he does on line! So, that might just be the key to Moose's heart. Hehe.

    And sure, you can meet him anytime, just let me know when! So, thanks again, Lisa and Heidi!

    ReplyDelete