Thursday, September 11, 2008

Equestrians are MOST Exceptional!!!!

I had a really great oppurtunity today: I volunteered at Exceptional Equestrians!! Exc. Eques. is a non-profit organization that focuses on hippotherapy and therapeutic riding for disabled children. Well, I first heard about this place a while ago and my mom and I decided to go volunteer today. It was quite interesting.

As soon as we walked into the arena, we see this little girl sitting on a big, black horse. She's smiling away, and she turns to us and waves, ecstatic to have us here without even knowing who we are. Then, another kid just does the same thing. It was really cute! So, we helped hold the kids in place for one session. My mom and I were side-walkers for a boy named Henry. Afterward, we got more information and such since today was our first time at Exc. Equestrians.

Oh, and a reason you should get involved: Leaders/side-walkers usually walk about 2 miles in an hour session. So, we can have fun, help kids, be around horses, and lose weight at the same time!! Now, isn't that exciting!! Lol. So, if anyone is interested in volunteering or wants more info, let me know and I'll hook you up!

And one more thing, the lady (Donna) who is in charge of Exc. Eques. is looking for a home for one of her horses. The horse is a Shetland/ Paso Fino mix named Amigo. He's pretty small, so size-wise is more like a  Shetland. He's sorrel and sounds like a RBE (extremely herd bound, likes to go, hyper, fearful, unconfident). He's 12 years old. She got him from a lady who had supposedly shown him. Though, I think if he was to be a riding horse, he'd have to get a refresher. The lady let him sit for a while, before she decided to sell him. Anyways, Donna has owned him for a year and is really looking for a nice home for him. She's selling him for free, because he's too hyper and herd bound for her needs. Donna has never ridden him before, because he's hyper on the ground, so she doesn't dare think what he'd be like undersaddle. So, she is selling him as a companion horse. I think he'd make a good Parelli project, but remember he's small!! Basically, if anyone is looking for a free companion horse or knows of someone who needs one, let me know and I'll give you Donna's phone number.

2 comments: