Sunday, June 28, 2009

Parelli Principles On the Big Screen

I've had two interesting occasions I want to talk about. One is watching the movie Nanny McPhee. The other will come in another post.

I want to talk about Nanny McPhee first.  Click on the link above to read more about the movie, but here's a quick video that sums up the plot:







I saw it the other night, and I really liked McPhee. But of course, I'm thinking in horse terms: she taught me a lot about encouraging the ideas of LBEs. Here's a good example: In one scene, Nanny McPhee told the kids that they had a half hour to get out of bed. Of course, the kids were rebellious, and decided to try to trick the Nanny. So, they painted their faces white with red dots. After the half hour was up, Nanny McPhee returned and found the kids had somehow got the 'measles.' Of course, she can see that they don't have it, but she encourages their idea. Here's her exact words:
"How can it be anything other? The chalky-white faces, the livid spots, the temperatures of 120 degrees. I've seen it time and again. Measles. Definitely."

And then she makes it uncomfortable. The kids just wanted to stay in bed all day, so she makes them stay in bed until they get sick of it. And this cauzes them to realize that their idea isn't so fun after all. The price of staying in bed means eating nasty 'medicines', so their idea backfires.

So, hey. I guess Parelli really does apply to other areas of our life. Horsemanship lessons can be found almost anywhere, if you look hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment