Friday, October 24, 2008

Recent Going-ons

Sorry about the non-updates. I just haven't got around to blogging lately.

Currently, Moose is the alpha in our pasture. So, interestingly enough, Dancer is at the bottom!! And if you know Dancer, that's extremely unusual: shes a very dominant horse. Yet, I can't say I blame her, for she probably feels like a midget around the other two. Hehe. Oops.

But now Ms. Bella!! She's definitely a hungry girl, holy cow!! The other day I caught her standing on some planks of wood next to the barn eating weeds. I guess drafts really do eat more. . . anyways, some observations:

  1. Bella goes on adrenaline quickly, especially when taken away from her buddies.

  2. She is pretty herd-bound, though that might change in the coming weeks. As of now, if her buddies are out of sight, then that's cause for concern.

  3. She doesn't like the carrot stick. I'm guessing that's because she was trained by an Amish man to drive. (no offense intended if anyone's Amish. On second thought, if you were Amish you probably wouldn't be reading this right now. Never mind)

  4. She's comfort-oriented, though when she is comfortable, food becomes a priority.


Okay, enough about Bella! Moosey's doing well, too. I'm still a little lost about what to do with him, exactly. But at least I've realized that if I get confused, or don't know what to do in a situation 'Stick to Me' really helps. I'm not good at it, per say, but the rules are simple and easy to grasp! So, Moose is going to get quite good at that! Anyways, I've still been spending a lot of undemanding time with him. I wanted to take him out and let him graze the other day, but it's hard with more horses here. They all want to get out, since 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.'

And I just had a real 'yahoo!!' moment. Our library has Parelli Level 3!! (Not that I need it anytime soon, it's just nice to know!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment