Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Moose stops here!!

Yes, he does. I couldn't say when: it might be a week, it might be in a month! But Moose is a horse! And he's mine . . . :)

Basically, my mom and I went to look at a horse yesterday.

[caption id="attachment_201" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Isn't he huge!?!?!"]Isn't he huge!?!?![/caption]

It was a 4 and a 1/2 hour drive!! So, the ride was a little long, but well worth it! The horse's name is Moose (he looks like one, lol) and he's a 17hh Thoroughbred who has never raced! Well, I played with him for a while and it was really difficult to figure out what his horsenanlity was! There was a ton of flies swarming him so he was constantly nipping at them, and he kept licking his lips because he was slobbering. So, it was kind of hard! I think he is a LBE, but he had more whoa than go so I guess we'll see.

Well as for the 7 games, he was a quick learner. Friendly had no problems, nor did Porcupine or driving. He had problems with the circling game, so he didn't understand sideways or squeeze either. Apparently, this was the first time he'd ever been in their round pen before, so he was pretty confused. Also, he had only been ridden once (the day before we saw him) in about a year, so I'm sure it was strange to be out of his normal routine, too.

[caption id="attachment_203" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="I think I look the right size for him, don't you?"]I think I look the right size for him, don't you?[/caption]

Well, after I played with him, I rode him around in the ring a little bit. His trot is so SMOOTH! It's almost like you're walking, not trotting. Boy is that different than riding my lesson horse, holy cow! But height-wise, OMG he was HUGE!!!! While riding I actually felt SMALL (and I'm 5'8")! I could barely put my arm over his back while on the ground, and he comes up to about my nose!! It was amazing, lol! And I bet you couldn't guess how much we paid for him! HINT HINT: think 4 digits!

Well, the ad I saw him in said that he's never spooked before, so we took him on a little trail ride. Well, I have to say he did pretty well. Most of the horses I know go RB every time they're ridden outside the pasture, and he wasn't bad at all! His ears were flickering quite a bit, but he had a low head set and I couldn't feel any tension in him. Also, we ran into a stream going by and I wasn't sure what he did about water. HA! He walked right

[caption id="attachment_205" align="alignright" width="300" caption="The Friendly game. If you look at his head only, you can see why he's called Moose!"]The Friendly game. If you look at his head only, you can see why he's called Moose!![/caption]

through it like it wasn't there! Actually, he wanted to stay and play like another little mud puppy I know (Dancer, lol)! Anyways, while riding I noticed an interesting thing about him. Sometimes, when I'd ask him to move over, he'd move his head over fine, but his legs still kept walking in the same direction. So, I'll have to fix that, because I kept running into branches, lol.

But I felt so bad for him, since the flies were so awful and they didn't have bug spray! I saw a fly there that was about 4x as big as a horsefly, no joke! They said that the only time they've ever seen him buck (there was no rider aboard) was when one of those flies landed on him. I can see why, jeez!

9 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so cool! I can't wait to meet him.. you are going to have to get an XXL trailer! He sounds perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow thats so great!! You sound like a perfect match for eachother!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I know, he's SOO huge! We were trying to figure out if he would fit in Lisa M's trailer and I really don't know! But they're going to trailer him, so it's not a problem getting him here! I feel bad for Dancer though, because she's going to look like a midget next to him!! And yeah, I'm pretty excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, she will look petite and cute!! ;) Not sure if he will fit into Lisa's trailer... lets hope so!

    Do you have an idea when he will be coming home?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. Yeah, don't know. If not, we can borrow out neighbor's trailer, but she might charge money for us to borrow it. Oh, well. And I don't know when he's supposed to be coming. They're going to trailer him up with a Friesian that's going to a home in the UP, so whenever that guy wants the Friesian then Moose comes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that sounds like an awesome plan! I hope he gets delivered sooner than later! You must be dying to have him with you at home...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'd certainly prefer sooner than later too, because school starts in about a week. So, I'm going to get a ton of homework, yet I'd still like to be able to spend time with Moose!! And I really hope he does get here soon, because I want another horse to play with so I don't get discouraged when Dancer has a bad day!! Ugh, I hate waiting, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure, in the end, he will be worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I don't doubt that!

    ReplyDelete