Monday, April 25, 2011

This is MY Life

Been working a lot recently, so just went outside with the horse today to play for the first time in about a month. Had a good time, really learned a lot. Few thing that I learned today:
  1. Fix one thing at a time. If we're playing with some maneuver and some other game breaks, fix that FIRST and then go back to what you're doing. I have a habit of just trying to make it all work.
  2. I treat Moose a lot like how I DON'T want to be treated: someone with a lot of expectations that is never satisfied. Just a "how interesting!"
  3. Need a lot of Friendly Game with me on his back, just hanging out. I want to get to where he likes me being up there.
  4. He has gotten SOOOOO much better at cantering! He read my mind actually. I asked him to trot, and he went and cantered a lap. It was amazing! I think this month off has really gotten him used to cantering around the pasture a bit, because it was so much easier for him today than it normally is.
I also has a huge BFO yesterday, Easter of all days. I had a really nice Easter, hope you all did as well. :) So, when I went home I started ranting about relationship issues with a friend of mine. And I got really angry. For the record, I am rarely ever angry. I hopped on the computer and started talking to a friend of mine and had a huge realization. Basically, I need to, and it's ok to, set boundaries with people. In horse terms, I don't ever phase 4 my friends! Ever! This was huge to me. I basically let people walk all over me. So here is what I leaned from that night:


  • I need to set boundaries with people.
  • Be gentle without being a wimp, but be firm without being mean or mad.
    • I can be firm and that’ll be ok. I don’t have to be a dictator, but it’s perfectly alright to have expectations of people.
  • Whatever happens, happens.
    • I CAN NOT control what others think of me. That is out of my control. So there is no use adjusting my actions for an expected response from someone.
    • It’s OK to have people mad at me. That’s alright. In fact it may be healthy. I can’t control them. But I can stand up for myself. And it’s ok to do that. (I hate it when people are mad at me)
  • I have the POWER to change my life
    • I don’t have to put up with this kind of stuff from people. I can expect things from people and that’s ok. At the moment, people walk all over me.
  • It’s a respect issue. I’m afraid to phase 4 ppl because I don’t want to hurt their feelings. But I need to do this sometimes for my own sake. This is MY life. Not theirs.
Very good realizations overall. Today, after this idea has had a quick smidgeon of time to settle in, it's been interesting to see how I have already applied it. I already feel more satisfied with myself, and a lot happier. I told my friend that I would like them to step it up a little bit, and so far no response, but I feel much better. Time for me to put myself first.

Enjoy the nice weather today everyone! :)

Have fun horsin around! :)