Tuesday, March 15, 2011

No Thanks

Moose and I were in for a nice day. Sun was shining, birds chirping. Just that lovely kind of weather that screams "horses!!!" at us horse lunatics. So, it was no wonder I had Moose on a lead rope, 'chomping at the bit' to get something done with him.

And that thing just so happened to be on our plan, picking up his feet! Yesterday went absolutely fantastic, so I hoped today would be just as good. And it would have been, if not for a reluctance on Moose's part to pick up said foot. We ended up doing circles and changes of direction like crazy. He kicked out twice in an attempt to show his defiant side. But it was very interesting for 2 reasons.
  1. I was more of a leader today than normal. And Moose responded by, when Circling, always hitting a spot (not every time) where he'd immediately stop and start pawing frantically or rubbing his head on his leg. He has rubbed his head on his leg a lot, I always assumed him itchy. But it normally does cause him to lick his lips, and in this case, it did as well. He also blew out, too, when he was done with it. So what I want to know is, is this behavior RBI at a threshold? Or what do I do with it?
  2. My leadership wanes. Today I was more of a leader, but I still start to crumble with time. I don't like conflict, I highly dislike people being mad at me. So I rarely push Moose, else he'll 'get mad' at me. But I realized after our playing today that horses don't think like people. It's only in my head that I'm being 'nice.' And only in our heads that I need to be 'bossy' as well. Just an observation.
  3. Is there anything I can do to better prepare Moose to pick his feet up? Am I skipping steps?
I sent an e-mail to a friend regarding this, so we'll see what she says. Kinda confuzzled.