Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lesson at Shirley's

I had another lesson today. It went really well. I was very pleased. I played with Ollie again again, and I really feel like he liked me too. Shirley even complimented me on how much improvement I made from our last lesson. I got firmer with him today when he needed it, despite him getting a little bit unsure, I persevered and then he came out fine and regarding me with respect. I was really happy. I really felt like a leader today, and that things worked out well.

I ended up riding him, too, at the end. I noticed when I rode him last time that he always wanted to go wherever he wanted when someone was riding him. Like I had to constantly remind him to go where I wanted. And he had an obvious draw to where his herd mates were. So, I asked Shirley when I should be reminding him to go where I want. She just reminded me that the phases, are eyes, belly button, leg, arm. I kept going to arm as phase 2ish, since he wouldn't go. She said that was most likely the result of him not being ridden very much. He is 14 years old, but doesn't have a ton of riding time on him. So, he isn't being sassy, he just doesn't understand since it's never been reinforced to him before. So, that was kind of cool, feeling like I actually got to do some kind of 'training' on Shirley's horses. :) Made me feel good anyways, that she said I was good for Ollie since I was more particular. He's a pretty cool guy.

And since Moose has been kind of a stinker about haltering recently, Shirley said that sometimes you have to make him and he doesn't just get to goof off. So, you might have to hook the halter around his neck, and just say 'deal!' for a little bit. But she also reminded me that I have a 50-50 chance. Good day, all in all!