Thursday, May 14, 2009

Uh-Oh Spaghetti-O!

Or, I was thinking of titling it "We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!" or whatever that line from The Wizard of Oz was.

But since this is serious, I'd better stop messing around. I'll give more details later (for obvious reasons once you read), but at the moment Bella is down for the count. My mom came outside today early in the morning and found Bella lying on the ground next to the chicken coop (it's in the pasture) shaking. Bad sign. So, she calls over one of our neighbors who is interested in vet-type stuff, so she knows some basics. She says we should call a vet. My mom does, and I arrive home at 3:30 and the vet is there.

I went outside and the vet said she thinks Bella is tied up, meaning she has a muscle disease that makes her kill muscle cells. And these dead muscle cells need to go somewhere. So, her kidneys are going to try and filter them out, but there's a chance she could die. She recommends bringing her to her clinic to put her on an IV. She's not positive about it being this "tied-up" thing, because it could be a vitamin deficiency, but most likely it's the muscle disease. Well, I hope  it's a vitamin deficiency, because it's easily treated! Also, the vet says she had a minor impaction, has worms, and has too much sand in her! Jeez!

Anyways, now Bella can barely move. She takes a few steps and that's it for an hour or two. She needs lots of fluids and we had to go out and buy extra food for her. She is usually laying down, but she gets up and stands there for a while, too. The good news is she still acts like Bella, just a more sedate version. It'd really freak me out if she acted all comatose, because then she must be really sick!

So, please keep her in your thoughts and I'll update soon as to how she's doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment