Saturday, May 16, 2009

Slow Progression

Since most of you are probably wondering about Bella, I figured I'd start with her first. She's doing alright. We have some painkiller paste to give her and she tried to resist it today, which is actually a good sign! And she's standing up more often. So, she's making progress, slowly but surely. And by the way, I found more information about tying-up, so click here if you want to know more.

About Moosey, I had a GREAT play session on Tuesday. Sorry haven't written about it yet, but Bella took priority. Anyways, on one of my older posts, I talked about the April DVD. Well, on Tuesday I tried using my new found knowledge with Moose! And it was spectacular!

I tried playing the Catching Game, and it worked okay. He was not as interested in me as the LBI on the April DVD, but I wasn't expecting him to. Anyways, he followed me after a little while of moving the HQ, so then I haltered up. I decided to play the Circling Game. My focus the whole times was on keeping my energy/reactions really low/slow.  Within a couple minutes, Moose licked his lips! He followed my directions flawlessly, too, and that's been something we've struggled with. Plus, he blew behind me, too. I was thrilled! So, he did half a circle, and then I quit.

About a week ago, we put in 2 tractor tires full of dirt to be pedestals. I wanted Moosey to take a look at them. So, I started walking towards the tires, still with low energy but an intention to go there. Moose passed me up, so I turned around 180 degrees and walked the other way. He passed me again, so I turned around again. And this kept up for a little while. But then, interestingly enough, Moose started following me perfectly when we went away from the tires. I couldn't get him to pass me, so I had to cheat and start throwing in stops. I was actually excited when he went in front of me, because then I can go back to my tires! But after a little while, the stops didn't catch him up, so I started jogging making him trot. Again, he passed me a few times, but he learned the game plan pretty quick. He was preventing me from going to the tires, how interesting!

So, I trotted him a little further away from the tires, and then he started coming off adrenaline. I immediately stopped and took the halter off. This was the fastest EVER he's came off adrenaline, because I'd guess I was only with him for about 20 minutes.

Then, I went to play with Bella, but Moose followed me. So, I haltered him again and took him outside to graze for a while. Outside the pasture, Moose was actually more confident and sensitive. He was being picky about where he ate, for instance, so he was thinking. And he cocked his hind leg, which is the 1st time he's ever done that outside.

But the next day was fabulous, I went outside and Moose started walking to me. He followed me around the whole pasture! I just ignored him, and went by the other horses, and just walked around and looked at stuff. He followed me all over with ears forward! I was elated! This is the first time he's been so attached to me. Even when he decided he'd had enough (because I just wanted to spend UD time that day) and went to go graze, I walked over by the water buckets and he changed his mind and came back to me.

It was so cool, and I really learned that energy has a huge impact on horses. I hope our relationship continues like this, and I hope Bella gets better.

Ta-ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment