Saturday, November 8, 2008

Step in the right direction

Well, I had an interesting experience a couple days ago. I played with Moose, and for once actually felt like I was doing Parelli!! I mean, it's a little hard to describe, but I mentioned previously that when I played with Moose I felt lost. . . that feeling dissapeared! So, a step in the right direction, I'm sure!


And I got to experience something very interesting, too. . . Moose was defensive! He wouldn't let me rub his belly! I have to admit, it was exciting and scary at the same time (though excitement won), for I've never dealt with a horse that didn't like the Friendly game before. That event made me thankful that I've watched the L2 pack before, because there's a session in there about a gelding that didn't like his sheath being touched. Linda said that in the last L2 class she taught a horse was being RB defensive. So, whenever you started rubbing the carrot stick by its sheath, it would start kicking. And Linda just kept rubbing and rubbing until the horse stopped kicking. After they had that discussion, the horse started wringing his tail. So, this time she would rub, until the horse stopped wringing its tail. Basically, I did this same thing with Moose. But he's such a fast learner, it barely counted, lol.

I'm hoping that getting through his defensiveness has progressed our relationship, for whenever I try to pet him with the carrot stick his head jerks up. I got about 5 times or so that his head didn't come up when I pet him which was great progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment