Saturday, November 21, 2009

Zone 3 Confidence

I'm so proud of myself. I temporarily re-invented the Carrot Stick! I have a knock-off CS that I haven't used in a while, so I decided to maybe play with Moose with it and a plastic bag attached to it. Well, I couldn't find a plastic bag, so while doing a quick survey of our tack area, I saw an old lead rope. Hmmm. I threaded it through the CS, and so now had a REALLY long reach. It was pretty cool. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, just that I wanted to do something.

Well, I did a lot today. It was sweet. I used the CS to help Moose gain confidence in Zone 3. I asked him to circle around me, somewhat close, but far enough away that he knew it was a circle and could go somewhere. Well, I had the lead rope part of the CS on his back and he was a little unsure about it. So, when he relaxed a little, I asked him to trot, and he kicked out! "Oh boy!"

Then, I continued playing with our Circling Game with the lead rope over Zone 3. I experimented to see what scared him. I moved it when he was Circling, and that spooked him a little. When he stepped on it, he got scared, too. So, we just played around. Once he was pretty relaxed with it there, I stopped and brought him in. Then, I had the bright idea of using it as a girth. I was in Zone 3 and so we played Stick To Me from there on his right side. He did excellent! He never had an issue with it being on his belly, even when I pulled a little. So, overall it was a really neat day! I'm really pleased with both him and me.

Oh, yeah, and if you haven't seen the new Parelli.com website, check it out! They released the new levels today!!!!!! And Linda has a blog that she updates daily/every other day. It's really cool! Here's the link to the new levels: http://shop.parellinaturalhorsetraining.com/product.jsf?productId=1021.